Join the Junior League of Troy for our
Little Black Dress Themed End of Year Dinner
The Country Club of Troy
The History of the Little Black Dress Initiative
Launched in February 2014 by the Junior League of London, the Little Black Dress Initiative (LBDI) is a week-long, social media-driven fundraising campaign that uses the iconic Little Black Dress to raise awareness about poverty and its effects in society.
Participants wear one little black dress for five consecutive days and are encouraged to harness the power of their social networks. By wearing the same little black dress each day for one-work-week, each participant is illustrating the effects poverty can have on a woman’s access to resources, confidence, and opportunities.
Junior League of Troy LBDI 2020
This year, the JLT is hosting our inaugural Little Black Dress Initiative during our end-of-year dinner meeting in May 2020. Our goal is to raise money and awareness for poverty in our region. Our community partner for 2020 is Unity House in Troy, NY.
JLT members can advocate and raise money by:
- Signing up to participate in the LBDI.
- Wear the dress: We will be raising awareness and funds to combat the impact of poverty by wearing one black dress at the dinner.
- Post each day: Post each day to social media a picture of you wearing the black dress and include the awareness fact of the day (these will be circulated to JLT members the week before the event).
- Encourage donations for our mission-based efforts in the community: A special link will be issued to include in your social media posts that will directly raise money to help JLT’s mission in the community. The top fundraisers will be recognized at our end of year dinner.
- Donate/collect feminine products and toiletries, or new or gently used professional clothing, which will be donated to Unity House: You may drop off your donations at the dinner.
- Participate in the social and celebration: To kick off our inaugural event, we are hosting a social event to raise money and increase awareness during our end of year dinner meeting.
Join Us at the Kick-Off Event
Please bring feminine products, hygiene products, or new or gently used professional clothing, which will be donated to Unity House. Suggested items: tampons, pads, deodorant, hair products, body wash, blazers, dress pants, dresses, closed-toe shoes, purses, blouses. However, all and any clothing donations are welcome.
What to Expect at the Event
Details are being finalized. Please check back in a few weeks for a full event agenda.